Coconut Lime Pie
When you put da lime in da co-co-nut so many things are possible! Use Key Limes if you can find them for this refreshing treat. The delicious graham cracker-like crust uses our REAL BREAD Baking Mix. However, if you've run out (better order now!), you can sub some coconut flour, although it simply won't be quite as tasty ;) Similar recipes have used avocado, but honestly, I eat tons of avocado out here in Avocado Land and I like it best with a little salt and pepper instead of in my desserts. So, baby spinach it is, and no one will know! Makes one 8-9" pie
Start with the Crust
1 1/4 cup pecan pieces
1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
2 tablespoons any REAL BREAD Baking Mix (or coconut flour)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/8 teaspoon monk fruit or 3 tablespoons sweetener such as Swerve
1. Brush a pie pan with coconut oil.
2. Whirl the pecans and shredded coconut in a small food processor until finely ground.
3. Pulse in the rest of the ingredients.
4. Press this mixture into the bottom of your pie pan and up the sides.
5. Place in a cold oven, set the temperature for 325° and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
While the crust bakes make the Filling
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 limes)
1 cup softened cream cheese (dairy free option here)
1 big handful of baby spinach
1/2 teaspoon pure monk extract or stevia
2 teaspoons gelatin or agar
sweetener to equal 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1. Juice the limes and add to your blender along with the peel of half a lime (I just toss in one of the halves before I juice it.
2. Add the softened cream cheese (warm in microwave or let set out on your counter a few hours)
3. Add the spinach and monk fruit to the blender.
4. In a small saucepan, stir the gelatin into the sweetener.
5. Add the coconut milk to the pan then, whisk and heat just until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
6. Pour this mixture into the contents of the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
7. Pour into your pie crust and chill several hours until firm.
8. Serve with whipped cream and garnish with shredded coconut and lime slices or zest.
*We encourage the use of organic ingredients from sustainable sources and animal products that have been humanely pasture-raised and grass-fed. Find the brands I use most here.