Tiramisu is one of those desserts that seems like complicated, but it's actually so easy! It's also awesome because you can make the cake ahead and let it set in the fridge until you're ready to turn it into this bit of deliciousness. This is an absolute family favorite here and our REAL BREAD mix makes a delicious vanilla cake. You'll only need half a package of the mix to make one cake round so you can still make some brownies or something else with the rest of the package. But...if you're out of mix I guess you'll just have to make a cake from scratch.
Make 1 (8-9 inch) vanilla cake round (our Baking Mix recipe is here)
THEN COMBINE IN THE BLENDER:
3 large eggs, separated
1 cup espresso or very strong coffee
2 tablespoons rum, cognac or brandy (optional)
8 ounces mascarpone, cream cheese at room temperature
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1. Combine yolks, 1 tablespoon espresso, sweetener and rum in a medium-sized bowl and whisk for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add mascarpone and beat until smooth and custard-like.
2. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. Gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture to lighten, then,gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
4. Carefully slice the cake horizontally using a long serrated knife (like a bread knife) and place one section into a pan or a plate larger than the cake. (I used a round casserole-type glass pan)
5. Pour half of the espresso over the cake and let it soak in.
6. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the cake and sprinkle with half of the cocoa.
7. Repeat with the second piece of cake.
8. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
9. Top with sweet whipped cream.
*We encourage the use of organic ingredients from sustainable sources and animal products that have been humanely pasture-raised and grass-fed. Find the brands I use most here.